Question: “Hi Pastor. We know God is not the author of confusion so why is there so much “confusion” in the church today regarding if a woman can be a pastor or not? Very few churches will tackle this topic because let’s face it they are scared (been to many churches over the past 30 years). Thank you.”
Answer: Thanks for your question. The Bible is clear on the order of the church. God has given men and women specific roles in the church. All of this is designed to make the church effective in soul winning, teaching, and passing on the teachings of Jesus to the next generation. These roles also promote order instead of chaos. Here’s what we know about these roles.
- 1 Peter 5:2 – Feed the flock, avoid the love of money, do not abuse the sheep
- 1 Timothy 3:1-13; Titus 1:5-9 – Meet and maintain the qualifications
- Titus 2:1-2, Titus 2:6-8 – Teach correct biblical doctrine
- Titus 2:3-5 – Teach proper behavior and attitude to other women and children
- 1 Timothy 2:9-12 – Avoid drawing focus on the outward appearance, focus on good works, do not override the teaching of the elders
- 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 – Do not publicly interrupt a speaker, confide in your husband instead
The Bible, as always, speaks clearly about the roles of men and women in the church. So, why is there confusion? I believe it is boiled down to the passage in 2 Timothy 4:2-3. As we move closer to the Lord’s return, we will see people move further from the authority of the Scripture. Their logic goes like this; if society says it’s acceptable to have a woman preach and lead the ministry, then the Bible is wrong, and we must fix it! How so? This logic makes God accountable to the ways of man. This isn’t how God works. We are all called to submit to Him and obey His Word. He is not the author of confusion. We all now that’s Satan’s home field.