Question: “Why do answers to my prayer requests take so long? I am beginning to lose hope because I feel that time is not on my side.”
Answer: Thank you for your question. I think it is safe to say that many people feel the same way you feel as they pray to the Lord. I heard this statement when I was younger and it always stuck with me. “God always answers prayer. Sometimes it’s yes. Sometimes it’s no. Sometimes we are told not yet.” The Bible does not tell us that God will answer our prayers immediately. In fact, we are instructed to wait on the Lord and to be of a good courage knowing that He will strengthen our minds in Him (Psalms 27:14). Prayer is communication with God. Believers are able to boldly approach the throne of grace to get the mercy we need in desperate times (Hebrews 4:16). As we wait on the Lord, we can be strengthened by specific facts taught in the Bible.
- Believers do not need to fear death. (1 Corinthians 15:54-57)
- Believers have eternal life in Jesus Christ. (1 John 5:13)
- Believers can joyfully suffer for what is right knowing that Jesus suffered, too. (1 Peter 2:20-25)
- Believers are aided by the Holy Spirit as He makes intercession for the Church. (Romans 8:26-27)
- Believers have been given a spirit of power, love, and a sound mind. (2 Timothy 1:7)